Pages

Friday, November 19, 2010

Karma and Inevitability –Restraining Order Defeated


Karma and Inevitability –Restraining Order Defeated

Karma is a law in Hinduism which maintains that every act done, no matter how insignificant, will eventually return to the doer with equal impact. Good will be returned with good; evil with evil.

Not long ago I came across an assistant district attorney who from what I heard had local public defenders terrorized and it was their opinion he was motivated to act by other than virtuous reasons.  When I met him I knew it was only a matter of time until his ways came back to haunt him.  I was right.  He was removed from office just before a case I had was set for trial and the matter was dismissed in my client’s favor.

I just resolved a restraining order on behalf of a client who had seen his daughter only once in the last month and the mother obtained a restraining order that allowed only two hours a week with supervised visits.  She then sought to have all visits removed through what are known as ex parte proceedings.  This action accelerated the hearing in this matter and the case went forward on a contested basis.  To her credit she testified honestly and indicated no threat or acts of violence against her, which are a prerequisite for a restraining order, and the court denied her request for order. My client will now be able to see and communicate with his daughter again.  As is often the case, the action was more about hurt feelings and a desire to tell her story.  However, in the end Karma and order were restored.

Law Offices of Mark A. Johnson
Criminal Defense, Employment, and Civil Law

Offices in Palmdale, Oxnard, Rancho Cucamonga, and Temecula, CA