Pages

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The value of an attorney-Giving a voice to one who might not be heard



Although attorneys sometimes get a bad rap and are labeled spin-doctors and tens of thousands of lawyer jokes exist, lawyers bring tremendous value to society and really can be the conduit to resolve conflict.  I am honored to be an attorney and to have the opportunity to bring a voice to those in need.

I have not researched the psychology of the following, but I do know from experience, it is one thing to say something about yourself and quite another for someone else to say the same thing about you, with the latter holding more effect and influence than the former, regardless of who is saying it.  This may be in part what inspired the classic adage, one who represents him or herself has a fool for a client.  The other aspect of this saying is derived in part because legal matters by nature are adversarial and it is quite difficult to look objectively at one’s own emotionally charged imbroglio.  Part of my introduction to new clients includes language that my job is not to be a yes person or that their conduct was appropriate if it was not.  I serve no value if I do not give an objective analysis of the particular case and likely outcomes.

Attorneys also share the client’s problem, a problem that is sometimes out-of-control and beyond the client’s control.  I have had many many clients whose careers require them to be in control and fixing things and they find it difficult when they are no longer in control in a legal matter and their continued effort to control the situation can be detrimental.

I have been near down-and-out  in my  adult life and pulled myself back up and in the course of events learned a number of valuable lessons I pass on to clients. I embrace Friedrich Nietzsch’s “what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger,” and a better lawyer.